Wednesday, November 4, 2020

2020 Season Birthdays and Activities

 We previously identified one of our September birthdays with Kelly, but our celebrations continued with three other September Birthdays later in the month!  

Both Maggie and Emma have late September birthdays, as well as Assistant Coach Brian with our last Fall birthday of the Season.  Which means that I guess I'll just have to bake for "other" reasons in October because we all love post practice treats! 



Additionally, one of our other traditions is a fake-out at some point during pre-season.  We really have to work hard to find a good, believable way to do this, especially as the sophomores and juniors often know it's coming.  I think we succeeded again this year, which is always a treat for me and the seniors!  We pulled off a "conditioning practice" that began at the stadium where we were to do some jump testing before continuing with the testing.  Then, when they got up there, we had pizza waiting for them bought by one of the senior parents!  Fun day for all!


I talked with the seniors at the beginning of the season and we tried to figure out what sort of schedule would work out best for everyone this year.  Most of the team really looked forward to coming to practice as much for the volleyball as an outlet to exercise and be together.  Since we weren't preparing for competition, and couldn't even fully play our game with the early rules, we decided on the following schedule for 2020:  Three days of skills/drills, one day of yoga and a "competition day," consisting of our 2v2 or 3v3 tournaments.


It's a long standing tradition for me to make a pie for whomever on the team qualifies (it's a team secret what qualifies!). I don't actually have a pie picture, but I do love to share my harvest or sorts with the team.  Usually this is either eggs from my chickens, or zucchini bread, or apply pie, but I don't have any apple trees, I just like to make pie.  This year, I shared some corn with some of the players who live in a house and could cook it...Fall VT sweet corn is a treat you really shouldn't miss!!










Something else we've tried to do this year on a regular basis is weekly yoga!  In a regular season we'd often do a yoga session on a Monday after a long weekend of both play and travel to help us loosen up some stiff muscles before getting back into training for the next weekend.  However, this year since our schedule was cleared of competition, I figured that a weekly yoga session would be very beneficial.  We've been outside most of the Fall, and only the last couple sessions had to be inside toward the end of October, so that was lucky!

No comments: